International Summer School on Higher Education Research, St. Petersburg, Russia
Held since 2013, the IOE International Summer School on Higher Education Research has over the years set itself apart as a premier cross-border academic venue that offers unmatched opportunities to take deep and all-round insights – by harnessing the foremost methodology and data – into research areas topping today’s agendas in higher education scholarship and broader socioeconomic contexts.
Bringing together both aspiring earlier-career researchers and world-distinguished education professionals of various backgrounds and in different specialist areas, the Summer School is a unique learning & networking forum enabling multi-prism discussions to advance our comprehensive understanding of higher education, while also fostering the integration of young academics into the global professional community.
Exploring Theories, Sharing Practical Insights
We are anchored in an ambition to leverage the grasp of how different theories and approaches from across disciplines apply to and work in modern studies of higher education, so that younger academics can frame and deliver higher-impact research more in sync with the pressing agendas in policy and practice. The School is able to contribute to reinforcing this ‘research – policy’ nexus thanks to how comprehensively it is designed, where the key distinctive features are:
- Focus on essential concepts and research ideas (theories and concepts in higher education and social science research, theoretical rationales underpinning policies; development of new approaches)
- Synthesis of conceptual (theoretical) and practical (policy) components in research
- Cross-country and global perspectives (faculty and participants from different corners of the globe share specific country-case evidence and international insights).
By featuring a string of vibrant formats, including, among others, multidisciplinary seminars, methodology workshops, research presentations, co-authoring papers, etc., the Summer School offers an academic program as diverse, complementary and engaging as to ensure early-career enrollees in different research domains and at all levels can gain meaningful theoretical and practical inputs that will form important groundwork for success in their future international scholarship.
The School encourages applications from advanced Master’s students, doctoral students, junior faculty members and institutional researchers with a background in all relevant social science fields (sociology, economics, political science, public administration, management, etc.). The working language is English.
Since its debut back in 2013, the Summer School has had a privilege of welcoming as its faculty a superb range of international scholars to lecture and network with their junior-career fellows on multiple theoretical and applied dimensions in the studies of higher education.
Institute of Education, HSE University Moscow, Russia
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Research Centre on Higher Education Policy, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, Portugal
Our Past Schools
- Theoretical and Conceptual Perspectives in Higher Education Research, May 31 – June 6, 2019
- Social and Economic Contribution of Higher Education, June 9–15, 2018
- Higher Education and Social Inequality, June 10–16, 2017
- Higher Education, Society and State, June 4–10, 2016
- Higher Education and the State, June 13–19, 2015
- Who Are the Students in Higher Education? Changing Roles, Changing Systems, Changing Lives, June 8–14, 2014
- Creating Effective Universities, June 7–13, 2013
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.