International Summer School on Higher Education Research, St. Petersburg, Russia
Held on an annual basis since 2013, the IOE International Summer School on Higher Education Research has over the years set itself apart as a premier cross-border academic venue that offers unmatched opportunities to take deep and all-round insights – by harnessing the foremost methodology and data – into research areas topping today’s agendas in higher education scholarship and broader socioeconomic contexts.
Bringing together both aspiring earlier-career researchers and world-distinguished education professionals of various backgrounds and in different specialist areas, the Summer School is a unique learning & networking forum enabling multi-prism discussions to advance our comprehensive understanding of higher education, while also fostering the integration of young academics into the global professional community.
The Summer School’s key features:
- Focus on essential concepts and research ideas (theories and concepts in higher education and social science research, theoretical rationales underpinning policies; development of new approaches)
- Synthesis of conceptual (theoretical) and practical (policy) components in research
- Cross-country and global perspectives (faculty and participants from different corners of the globe share specific country-case evidence and international insights).
By featuring a string of vibrant formats, including, among others, multidisciplinary seminars, methodology workshops, research presentations, co-authoring papers, etc., the Summer School offers an academic program as diverse, complementary and engaging as to ensure early-career enrollees in different research domains and at all levels can gain meaningful theoretical and practical inputs that will form important groundwork for success in their future international scholarship.
The School encourages applications from advanced Master’s students, doctoral students, junior faculty members and institutional researchers with a background in all relevant social science fields (sociology, economics, political science, public administration, management, etc.). The working language is English.
INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL 2019
This year, the Summer School will focus on theoretical and conceptual perspectives in the study of higher education. As a multi-disciplinary field, higher education research draws on numerous scholarly frameworks and traditions, often synthesizing different disciplinary methods in order to address problems of policy and practice in higher education or explain the relationship between higher education and society. During the Summer School, the faculty and participants will discuss the strengths and limitations of various theoretical approaches and concepts developed in economics, sociology, political science, cultural studies, and multi-disciplinary research perspectives in higher education. They will also consider how these theories and concepts can be applied within different national contexts and reflect on the comparative dimension. As part of the program, emphasis will also be accorded to the approaches used within educational policies, and their foundations and rationales, including the concept of effectiveness of higher education, and approaches to understanding and measuring effectiveness.
Learn about our past events:
- Social and Economic Contribution of Higher Education, June 9–15, 2018
- Higher Education and Social Inequality, June 10–16, 2017
- Higher Education, Society and State, June 4–10, 2016
- Higher Education and the State, June 13–19, 2015
- Who Are the Students in Higher Education? Changing Roles, Changing Systems, Changing Lives, June 8–14, 2014
- Creating Effective Universities, June 7–13, 2013
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.