Laboratory for Advanced Measurements and Test Design
Set up in 2017 as a subdivision of the IOE Centre for Psychometrics and Measurements in Education, the Laboratory builds on advanced psychometric expertise brought by in-house scholars and international partner experts to comprehensively tackle an audacious agenda in the study and evaluation of complex constructs that embed multiple upper-tier cognitive and non-cognitive processes and domains.
The research strands of psychosocial development and wellbeing of the individual have long been a site of close focus in psychology, and their educational, corporate and other dimensions have piqued more and more interest among academics in recent years. This reflects the growing emphasis placed by various stakeholders on the part that the framework of 21st century skills and competencies, such as critical thinking, creativity, complex problem solving, etc., plays in the all-round personality development, general wellbeing, and career success.
The R&D scope of the Laboratory is mostly centered on testing solutions to evaluate such core upper-tier student capacities as critical thinking, creativity, communication and cooperativeness, digital literacy, and ICT savvy.
Designing testing tools that would enable accurate and reliable evaluations of such multi-dimensional constructs requires that massive research and analysis first be done in order to develop a comprehensive understanding about what exactly the various cognitive and non-cognitive components of each such construct are, how they are interrelated and work within a construct, etc.
The key R&D and advisory strands in the Lab’s agenda are:
- Designing high-quality testing kits that provide fair evaluations to aid more reasoned judgements and decisions by multiple stakeholders (schools, families, businesses, etc.)
- Conducting advanced psychometric research to enhance the design approaches and the validity of testing solutions
- Psychometric support and test quality assessments
- Performing third-party contracts to design testing solutions of various types and domains of application
- Academic and popular networking to advance psychometrics and promote the basic understanding of test development and evaluations across stakeholders.
In addition, the Lab experts teach a number of specialist academic modules as part of IOE’s Measurement in Psychology and Education Master’s program.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.