IOE at a Glance
Anchored in a comprehensive approach that sources from across disciplines and adopts state-of-the-art academic standards, IOE delivers scholarship and expertise to promote informed decisions and strategies in the sector and beyond. As its principal division in education, IOE also seeks to underpin HSE’s foremost positions on the global academic arena.
HSE Institute of Education has one-of-a-kind empirical repository spanning various dimensions of Russian and global education
High-impact R&D to Benefit Multiple Realms
IOE’s centers and labs harness conceptual frameworks from multiple domains while drawing on the most relevant, one-of-a-kind empirical datasets that cover various areas of education in Russia and abroad.
This enables us to pursue high-impact R&D that addresses the very nitty-gritty of what tops the modern-day educational agenda – for various stakeholders and social realms to benefit from sustainable positive change in policy and practice.
Today, IOE’s annual R&D portfolio numbers 100+ projects, including high-caliber endeavors co-run with QS upper-rank institutions.
We lead or otherwise contribute to a vast number of nation-state and international initiatives spearheaded by OECD (e.g., ESP, PIAAC, TALIS in Russia; Future of Education and Skills: Education 2030, etc.), UNESCO (e.g., Online Resources to Advance Youth Safety and Well-being in Eastern Europe and Central Asia) and WorldSkills (e.g., Evaluating and Enhancing the Efficiency of Vocational Training: From Curriculum to National Systems).
IOE’s Major Collaborations in Global R&D
- 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries (consortium of research teams at 16 universities in former Soviet states and Europe)
- Key Competencies and New Literacy (led by an IOE-supervised consortium of six top-rank global universities, with backing from Sberbank’s Investment in Future Foundation)
- SUPER project (study of STEM undergraduate performance in Russia, China, India and the U.S., conducted in association with Stanford University, Tsinghua University and Educational Testing Service)
- Evaluating Student Progress in Primary School (iPIPS methodology to measure students’ ability on entry and completion of primary school; implemented together with the Centre for Evaluation & Monitoring at Durham University)
- Educational Inequality (run jointly with five leading international universities)
- Transformations of School Education in Post-Soviet Countries (co-run with Nazarbayev University)
- Trajectories in Education and Careers (first-ever national panel in the post-Soviet space framed under best-practice global standards)
- Educational Transformations in China and Russia: Comparative Insights to Future-proof Development Agendas (in association with China’s National Institute of Education Sciences)
- Performance and Efficiency of Universities (in collaboration with Politecnico di Milano)
- Digital Traces in Education (jointly with the University of Arizona)
- Grassroots Innovations in Education (in association with Eötvös Loránd University).
IOE’s Graduate School of Education offers a wide range of training programs for researchers, practitioners and administrators that are designed under modern national and global industry standards.
Delivering at Scale
At IOE, we emphasize far-reaching partnerships and global networking as central to our mission of crafting a better world through education. Across the agenda, we go the extra mile ensuring our scholarly outputs help make a difference at scale.
A founding member of the Russian Educational Research Association (member of EERA since 2018), IOE hosts a range of top-tier global conferences on education, publishes two Scopus-indexed academic journals, and holds a variety of international summer schools for early-career scholars.
Our partners are a superb cohort of the world’s leading educational institutions, think-tank centers, policy organizations, etc.