World Bank–HSE Summer School “The Role of Education in National and Regional Socioeconomic Development”
The World Bank and the Higher School of Economics welcome applications for the upcoming
First International Summer School
“The Role of Education in National and Regional Socioeconomic Development”
We encourage applications by students and early-career researchers from Russia, the CIS, Eastern Europe and China who pursue various perspectives in the Economics of Education and Education Policy.
The Summer School aims to demonstrate the unity of theoretical and applied research on the Economics of Education and Education Policy. The main goal of the Summer School is to contribute to the development of theory and practice in the Economics of Education and Education Policy by foregrounding the latest international research and practice in this field.
The School Agenda will focus on:
- Challenges and opportunities in modern education policy
- Role of education in national socioeconomic development
- Role of governance in linking education and development
- Development of Human Capital 2.0 as a basis for the conceptual study of Economics of Education and Education Policy
- New trends in the labor market: the key challenges for the education system
- How to assess the effectiveness and returns on investment in education
- How to design, conduct and present research and applied projects.
The speakers are accomplished scholars and leading experts in the Economics of Education and Education Policy:
- Harry Patrinos (World Bank)
- Suhas Parandekar (World Bank)
- Yaroslav Kuzminov (HSE)
- Eduardo Velez (Georgetown University)
- Isak Froumin (Institute of Education, HSE).
During the Summer School, students and young researchers will have the opportunity to build up their knowledge in the Economics of Education and Education Policy, as well as to discuss their individual research and applied projects.
The working language of the Summer School is English.
- Strong command of spoken and written English
- Current research or applied project in the Economics of Education and Education Policy.
Venue: 16/10 Potapovsky per., Institute of Education, HSE, Moscow, Russia.
Participants of the Summer School will be selected on a competitive basis.
Applications are accepted until May 27, 2019.
Please note that travel and accommodation are paid by participants. If necessary, a visa invitation can be arranged.
The Organizing Committee will announce shortlisted applicants by May 30, 2019.
To apply, please submit the following in English:
- Completed registration form
- Summary of the project that you will present at the Summer School (500–1,000 words)
- Motivational letter (300–500 words)
The Organizing Committee:
I.A. Sloev (PhD, Chair of the Academic Council of the Master’s Programs “Education Economics and Management” and “Evidence-based Educational Policy,” Institute of Education, HSE), P.P. Zavalina (Consultant, Education Global Practice, World Bank), E.A. Savelyonok (PhD, Academic Director of the Master’s Program “Education Economics and Management,” Institute of Education, HSE), A.V. Garmonova (Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Institute of Education, HSE), I.D. Froumin (PhD, Head of the Institute of Education, HSE).
For questions, please contact:
- Igor Sloev: Tel: +7 (495) 772-9590*23086, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Polina Zavalina: Tel: +7 (499) 921-2054, email: email@example.com
- Evgeniy Savelyonok: email: firstname.lastname@example.org.